FREE FAMILY LAW CLASSES:
Office of the Family Law Facilitator
Family Court Services
1100 Anacapa Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(SANTA MARIA: For services in Santa Maria, click here.)
CAN I GET SOME HELP WITH CUSTODY AND VISITATION ISSUES?
Custody and Visitation Classes: The Office of the Family Law Facilitator in Santa Barbara offers free classes on custody and visitation issues. If you want a Family Law Facilitator to help you get or change your custody and/or visitation orders, you must start the process by attending the 2-part class described below.
- The first part of the class is entitled "Custody and the Law Class." It explains what "custody and visitation" is, what the court looks at in creating the first orders for custody and visitation, and what the court looks at in changing an existing order for custody and visitation. The class explains your legal options in addressing custody and visitation problems. Registration starts at 9:45 a.m. and the class ends at 12:00 noon. The class is free
- The second part of the class is entitled the "Legal Forms Class." It provides procedural instruction on how to go to Family Court Services mediation and on what legal forms and pleadings are needed in order to go to court regarding custody and visitation issues. Registration starts at 1:15 p.m. and the class ends at approximately 3:30 p.m. The class is free.
- The classes are held once approximately every 4 weeks.
- Participation is on a first come, first serve basis. You go to Family Court Services at the appointed time in order to register on the day of the class.
- Please call (805) 882-4660 for the class schedule and for further information.
- Please do not bring children to the classes. Click here to see the days and hours of operation of the Court’s Children’s Waiting Room in Santa Barbara.
- Bring a pen and copies of your court documents, if any.
I WANT A DIVORCE, LEGAL SEPARATION OR ANNULMENT? CAN YOU HELP WITH THAT?
Divorce (Legal Separation and Nullity of Marriage) Workshops (in Santa Barbara):
- Starting or responding to your dissolution (divorce) (Workshop 1 in English):
First Thursday of each month from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
Bring the following, if possible:
- Any court documents you already have, if available, regarding you, your spouse, and your children, including domestic violence actions and child support cases;
- Your home address and telephone number;
- Proof of your income, including:
- Recent pay stubs,
- Unemployment benefits records ,
- Worker’s compensation benefit records,
- SSI, SDI, SSP or SSDI benefit records,
- General Relief or General Assistance benefit records;
- Date of marriage and date of separation;
- Children’s names, and dates of birth;
- List of addresses where the children have lived in the last five years;
- List of all debts, bills, property and things to be divided (including assets and outstanding debts acquired from before marriage, during marriage and after separation) (and including those items in your name alone, in your spouse’s name alone or in both your names)
- Doing financial disclosures and getting orders (Workshop 2 in English):
Second Thursday of each month from 8:00 a.m. to noon
- Getting your final judgment (Workshop 3 in English):
Third Thursday of each month 8:00 a.m. to noon
- Clínico de divorcio en español:
Esta el cuarto jueves de cada mes 8:00 por la mañana hasta mediodía.
- Workshop dates are subject to change. Please check the Walk-In Clinic Schedule for the Santa Barbara office for the most up-to-date information on office closures.
- Please do not bring children to the classes. Click here to see the days and hours of operation of the Court’sChildren’s Waiting Room in Santa Barbara.
- Bring your own pen and relevant paperwork.
Office of the Family Law Facilitator, Family Court Services
201 South Miller St., Ste. 208
Santa Maria, CA 93454
Santa Maria Class Schedules:
115 CIVIC CENTER PLAZA
The North County Family Law Facilitator has office hours in Lompoc every Friday. There are no same day or walk in appointments. Appointments are made in advance and can be made by either visiting the clerk or calling 614-6442 to schedule.